Friday, September 3, 2010

A Threestrand cord

Part 1Part 2Part 3, Part 4

Up till now I've been focusing on Richard and I and how we met. I was thinking about that today, and realized an important aspect of our relationship has been left out of the story.

Richard and I were never just "Richard and Sophie" when we first became friends. First Richard was one among many. As time went by the "many" seemed to fade away to just three people. Richard, myself, and my best girl-friend Amanda. The three of us were near inseparable in those early years. There was no jealousy, envy, or discord between us. We were true friends.

If anyone of us tried to skip a meal they'd better think twice before facing the other two!!

Of course, we had disagreements from time to time. Probably pretty often, actually. Richard was young and brash--he had issues that were "hills he'd die on" and he hadn't learned to consistently temper his zeal with grace. Amanda was stubborn and comparatively wild--she came from a very different culture and upbringing than either Richard or I did. And me? Well, I was the sensible, conservative, sweet one that held the two wild interesting people together. And I was stubborn as a mule when it came to making my mind up on an issue. Entreat me with tears, entreat me with eloquence, I would NOT join Richard or any one else on a "hill to be died on" without thoroughly understanding the issue, seeing it in the Bible, and agreeing that it was true. All of these qualities made for MANY late night discussions on a multitude of subjects, such as: music, clothing, entertainment, physical touch (or lack of it) between guys and gals, relationship to parents, proper responses to the opposite gender, and many other things.

We wrote stories together--ridiculous ones in which the world exploded and we were the main characters.

Richard never played favorites between Amanda and me. He spent time with both of us equally, though mostly we were all together. I remember a couple times that Amanda and I had a sewing day, and Richard would "join" us over skype and read his latest story or epic poem aloud to us as we worked. Other times Richard would organize sword fights with our group of guy friends, and Amanda and I would be the token ladies (complete with costume!).We wrote stories together--ridiculous ones in which the world exploded and we were the main characters. We alternately bossed each other around--but in a loving way. If anyone of us tried to skip a meal they'd better think twice before facing the other two!! Though now the eventual love between Richard and I seems a foregone conclusion, at the time we felt as though we were our own adopted family--siblings by choice. It was as it should be.

Other times Richard would organize sword fights with our group of guy friends, and Amanda and I would be the token ladies (complete with costume!).

No comments:

Post a Comment