Saturday, December 4, 2010

Reason #1: Because he is purposeful

And so we start on the first of 100 reasons I love my husband. We'll see how this goes!!! :-)

This afternoon as we were sitting down for lunch I made a comment to my husband about an entertainment choice we had made concerning what movies we will watch. This particular decision was one that I have held to for many years now, and when we were married he decided that for the time being it would become a family principle. My comment was an aside comment, part of a conversation but not really important. However, instead of continuing the conversation my husband paused and said, "Well, actually, dear, that's something that has been on my mind the last few weeks, and I want to talk to you about it sometime soon."

I have a hard time waiting for "sometime soon" so my husband was kind enough take time to discuss the issue over lunch and not leave me hanging.

Essentially he is concerned that this particular entertainment decision is bordering on pharisee-like legalism. He feels that we need to be careful not to add rules to the Bible. That isn't to say that we won't keep the standard. At this point he is not sure what exactly will be most honoring to God in this area, and it is going to be committed to prayer. But regardless of what the final decision will be in this area, we will be extra careful that, in decisions concerning things that are not directly spoken of in the Bible (matters of conscience), we don't take the attitude that our way is the only right way. In matters of conscience the Lord may lead families in different ways for a multitude of reasons. Just because He leads us one way does not mean the rest of the world, who has made different decisions, is living in sin.

 I appreciate that my husband thinks things through and resolves to please the Lord even in small things. I also appreciate that he does not feel that in order to please the Lord we must embrace a multitude of rules (this is particularly appreciated as I myself have a tendency to be overly strict).

In short, I appreciate that my husband is purposeful in how he lives his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment